Donors and Contributions

Top Contributions to the Environment Fund 2016

  1. Germany $8.41M
  2. France $7.55M
  3. Netherlands $6.36M
  4. USA $6.06
  5. Sweden $5.05M
  6. Belgium $4.44M
  7. United Kingdom $4.05M
  8. Switzerland $4.0M
  9. Norway $3.0M
  10. Japan $2.49M
  11. Canada $2.36M
  12. Denmark $1.34M
  13. Finland $1.11M
  14. Russian Federation $.90M
  15. Turkey $.84M

Top Increases in Contributions to the Environment Fund 2016

  1. Angola 654%
  2. Sri Lanka 310%
  3. Armenia 278%
  4. Algeria 100%
  5. Argentina 100%
  6. Lao PDR 100%
  7. Montenegro 100%
  8. Namibia 100%
  9. Paraguay 100%
  10. Peru 69%
  11. Uganda 50%
  12. Republic of Korea 43%
  13. New Zealand 38%
  14. Lithuania 30%
  15. 15. Norway 29%

 

Top Early Payments to the Environment Fund 2016

  1. Thailand - 30 November 2015
  2. Slovakia - 5 January 2016
  3. Austria - 12 January 2016
  4. Norway - 26 January 2016
  5. Argentina - 29 February 2016
  6. Mongolia - 1 March 2016
  7. Singapore - 9 March 2016
  8. Latvia - 15 March 2016
  9. United Arab Emirates - 16 March 2016
  10. New Zealand - 18 March 2016
  11. France - 31 March 2016
  12. Canada - 5 April 2016
  13. Luxembourg -19 April 2016
  14. Romania - 28 April 2016
  15. Germany - 12 May 2016

A global, shared responsibility calls for an increased number of Member States to contribute with higher amounts to UNEP, in particular to the Environment Fund. Governments are the core of UNEP’s funding because UNEP is an intergovernmental organization owned by the 193 UN Member States. Each and every country is a donor, and each and every country is a recipient.

Altogether, 181 countries made at least one voluntary contribution to the Environment Fund in the period 1973-2016. As at December 2016, the top 15 contributors to the Environment Fund contributed up to 89% of the total income from the Fund, whereas the other contributors made up for only 11% of the total.

                                                                                                                   

Subsequent to the governments’ commitment in Rio to providing stable, secure, adequate and increased financial resources (SSAIFR) for UNEP through both the regular budget and voluntary contributions, several governments recognized that some collective momentum was needed to achieve this commitment. Discussions were hence initiated amongst some Member States with the main purpose of finding a way to share the funding burden and generating additional contributions, in particular, to the Environment Fund. The discussions have identified key areas that led to the development of a global funding strategy.

                                                                        

The funding strategy calls for a SSAIFR future for UNEP. Some Member States have taken the lead in providing SSAIFR funding by having multi-year agreements with UNEP. These agreements are designed to promote long term stability and strengthen the cooperation between the Member State and UNEP by implementing programmes that are consistent with UNEP’s mandate and that achieve results at the global, regional, and national levels. Examples of these Programme Cooperation Agreements are found below:

A SSAIFR future for UNEP is structured along the following principles:

  • A shift towards increased un-earmarked funding
  • A widened based for contributions
  • More partnerships that catalyse resources and results at global, regional and national levels
  • Increased Return On Investment (ROI)
  • Accountability and Communication