The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is revolutionary because it takes an approach based on one simple principle: everything is connected. This approach marks the first time that the whole world is applying this notion to the future of people and our planet—bringing goals ranging from ending poverty to achieving peaceful societies to protecting life on land and in the ocean under one umbrella.
At UNEA-2, key players are meeting to take decisions related to the environmental dimension of sustainable development – touching on everything from air pollution to how to value natural resources. Every issue under discussion has impacts far beyond the environment: human health, livelihoods, sustainable economic growth and the future of the diverse species living on our planet.
UNEA-2 Unplugged provides a dynamic and free-speaking platform for debate, in which a distinguished and diverse panel can exchange bold and frank views with participants on how to best to address challenges and manage the environment for the benefit of all humanity. In an engaging “town hall” dialogue moderated by UNEP’s Executive Director they will explore questions such as:
- How can climate action under the Paris Agreement and 2030 Agenda be turned into an economic opportunity?
- How can we protect human health in the face of ever-growing industrialization and chemical reliance?
- How can we ensure natural capital is preserved and valued to provide livelihoods and support vulnerable communities?
The debate aims to capture global voices on how the environment can deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals, providing an opportunity for unrestricted, although moderated, debate among civil society stakeholders.
The event will be open to all UNEA delegates, CPR, media, and UN staff and covered for social media engagement.
- HE Anote Tong, Former President of Kiribati
- HE MasoumehEbtekar, Vice-President of the Islamic Republic of Iran and Head of the Department of Environment
- HE Amina J Mohammed, Minister of Environment, Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Ambassador William L Swing, Director General, International Organization for Migration
- Dr Ashok Khosla, Chairman, Development Alternatives
- Mr Achim Steiner, UN Under-Secretary-General and UNEP Executive Director
1800-1900HRS – Cocktail Reception
1900-2000 hrs – Moderated Discussion
For more information, contact AdemaSangale