Minamata online is an initiative from the Secretariat of the Minamata Convention.
On 29 September 2020, Minamata Online held an information session on “Mercury material flow: Supply, demand and trade”.
The first session under the “mercury science” stream, this webinar presented information on mercury material flow focusing on supply, demand and trade in mercury. Experts provided updated information after the publication of UNEP Mercury Supply, Trade and Demand report, studies on illicit trade, and national studies on mercury material flow. There was as well a panel discussion on how to improve the knowledge on mercury material flow.
The event saw a virtual attendance of over a hundred participants and counted with the following panelists:
- Barbara Hendus, Program Officer Extractives & Conservation, IUCN National Committee of the Netherlands
- Okechukwu Jonathan Okonkwo, Professor Emeritus, Tshwane University of Technology
- Joy Leaner, Co-chair of the International Conference on Mercury as a Global Pollutant 2022
- Eisaku Toda, Senior Programme Officer, Secretariat of the Minamata Convention on Mercury
- Peter Maxson, Director, Concorde East/West SPRL
- Thomas Groeneveld, Special Assistant, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Coordinator of the Global Mercury Partnership Area on Mercury in Products
- Ken Davis, Programme Management Officer, UN Environment Programme